MISTI VOLCANO DOWNHILL AND RAFTING FULL DAY - $ 135 USD Per Person
About the Misti Volcano Downhill and Rafting Tour
Looming 5822 m above Arequipa city, you will find the snow-capped volcano El Misti. The Chili river in Arequipa is located between the colossal volcanoes El Misti and Chachani and flows from the Andes of Arequipa to Cusco and Puno. Arequipa is one of the premier bases in Peru for white water rafting. The best time to do the downhill mountain biking of the Misti volcano and the white water rafting in Arequipa is from April to November. Experience downhill mountain biking from the El Misti Volcano and white water rafting in Arequipa with Peru Biking Tours
Itinerary - Experience one Day of Adventure in Arequipa
This tour starts at 8 AM, where your tour guide and your four wheel drive will pick you up from your hotel in Arequipa. First we take you up to 3200 m to Chiguata and along the way you will see the nice and amazing valley of pre Incas terraces. Before we start our mountain bike downhill adventure, your tour guide will give you a short briefing regarding safety, the use of gears and brakes, the protective equipment and an explanation about the flora and fauna of this area. We start our biking tour on dirt road crossing springs and while cycling you will see local people and their daily activities. This part of the tour takes one hour and a half of cross country mountain biking, descending 700 m to the asphalt road. We take our 4x4 again to go up to 3400 m to the slopes of the Mist Volcano and from here, we will enjoy fully adrenaline downhill mountain biking. Upon arrival into Arequipa, we take our 4 X 4 again to drive to the Chili river to start our white water rafting adventure!
We will put on our life jacket and helmet and after a rafting safety instruction, we will take our boats to enter the Chili river. We will spend approximately 1,5 hour rafting in the river and at the end of the tour, you have the chance to jump into the river as part of your rafting adventure. After the tour, we will have a small snack before we transfer you back to your hotel. We truly hope you had an amazing downhill mountain bike and whitewater rafting tour in Arequipa with Peru Biking Tours.
- 4 X 4 supporting vehicle whole trip (according your request)
- English-speaking mountain bike tour guide
- English-speaking rafting tour guide
- GT - TREK - BIANCHI MT bikes in maintenace (full disc brakes)
- Gloves; windproof and full-finger glove which can also be worn during the cold season or high altitudes
- Helmet; light ventilated and comfortable for your head
- Raft boat up to 6 people
- Life jacket
- Safety kayak
- Pictures or your rafting tour
- Snack, plenty of drinking water, chocolates, fresh fruit and energy bars
- Oxygen and first aid kit for all participants and our camp staff
- Repair Kit and new parts
- Soft and alcoholic drinks
- Breakfast or lunch
- Tips for guide and camp staff
The rainy season is from December to March. The Chili river will be closed in the rainy season, as the water can get to high and dangerous for rafting. However, if you are an adventurous and experienced biker, you can still do the Misti downhill mountain bike tour; there are some sunny days with a clear blue sky and there are many single tracks along the way.
Best Time For Cycling
The Misti downhill and the whitewater rafting tour can only be done in the months from April to November. This is due to the rainy season from December to March in the highlands of Peru. The Chili river will be closed for rafting from December to March, as the water can get to high and dangerous for rafting. However, you can still enjoy the downhill Misti mountain bike tour; the mountains near Arequipa are completely covered with snow and the slopes are covered with new vegetation, making it nice for taking pictures.
Advice For Bikers
You need to have a normal physical condition for this tour. Bikers require good altitude acclimatization over 3400m. One day before the tour, all the bikers will have a meeting with the mountain bike guide at our office or in the hotel, who will give a short briefing about the trip. You can check the quality of the bikes and the gear that will be used on the trip. There is no experience required for the rafting tour.
What You Need To Bring
- Sandals or runnig shoes (shoes that will not come off)
- Hat or cap to protect you from the sun
- Sun cream
- Short pants and T-shirts
- Long sleeved shirt and trousers (especially for those who burn easily)
- Bottle of Water
- Insect repellent
- Toiletries (towel and toilet paper)
- Camera, plenty of film and spare batteries
- Swimming clothes
- Clothes you do not mind to get wet
- Warm clothes for the end of the trip
- Plastic bag to protect your personal things during the rafting time